The Halifax Organ Academy (HOA for short) was set up in 2011 to
- Be a centre of excellence for the organ in Calderdale and West Yorkshire
- Provide tuition and support for organists, raising the standard of playing and the number of good players in the locality
- Encourage the take up of the organ – especially amongst young people
The Academy offers
- Regular organ days, comprising master classes, seminars, performances, lecture recitals
- Provision of workshops for school children
- Bursaries and scholarships
- Help with finding an organ teacher
The Academy is based at Halifax Minster, where the first master class, led by Anne Marsden Thomas, was held in September 2011. Events are also held at a number of other locations in the region, including the Victoria Theatre, Halifax, Brighouse Parish Church, and St Jude’s Church, Halifax. Classes and workshops are often held in conjunction with the RCO Academy Organ School. For organ students in the south and west of England, the Lyme Regis Organ School offers excellent programmes, tuition and more.
See the BBC news item on the foundation of the Halifax Organ Academy; and the Yorkshire Post’s review of the HOA’s foundation. Choir and Organ also commented; as did the Halifax Courier.